Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Remember Me?
Login with your username and password

Author Topic: Thorpe Park  (Read 676 times)

Offline DaveBudd

• Global Moderator
  • Muggle husband to coeliac wife and son
    • View Profile
Thorpe Park
« on: July 20, 2017, 03:38:00 pm »
My son's just been to Thorpe Park (by the M25/M3 junction) as part of a school trip.
He could not find  single thing he could eat - apart from sweets.
I'd done some googling a few days earlier, and it looked like they had facilities for gf pizza, the piri piri chicken should be ok, maybe the ribs. But he went to those outlets and asked and was told no.
Because he was just a 13yr old and they couldn't be arsed? Or they really have no gf options?

No timely response to email or facebook. Only phone line is really for bookings and 13p/minute with ridiculously long hold times.

TripAdvisor also has numerous complaints about queue times for the rides and how many rides are shut.

Don't go!

Run by Merlin. Who will be getting some scathing email shortly

Offline Silly Yak Wrangler

• View Profile
Re: Thorpe Park
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 01:24:46 pm »
Sadly, such places are not generally geared up for minority groups.  The percentage of GF customers does not make it worth their while.  A few disappointed visitors will go unnoticed.  It's a while yet before coeliacs have the same choices as vegans and vegetarians, which is not necessarily something to shout about anyway.  Not good.

Offline DaveBudd

• Global Moderator
  • Muggle husband to coeliac wife and son
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 12:18:41 am »
I posted after he'd phoned. Later (just before leaving) he discovered a Chiquitos where he was able to get some nachos with chicken strips. But the search for food took so long he got a couipel of rides less than everybody else on the trip.

The school's taking him to Blackpool Pleasure Beach on Friday, I'm pretty much expecting the same experience. Though they clai their pizza place has gf bases, and Gourmet Burger supposedly have gf buns (but their fries aren't safe)

Offline FrancesRas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 08:09:28 am »
Sadly, such places are not generally geared up for minority groups.  The percentage of GF customers does not make it worth their while.  A few disappointed visitors will go unnoticed.  It's a while yet before coeliacs have the same choices as vegans and vegetarians, which is not necessarily something to shout about anyway.  Not good.

Places like this are geared towards the masses so it's best to take your own food.

Offline Silly Yak Wrangler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 01:16:39 pm »
Just a quick word to say here (though I will also add it in a more suitable thread too) that by contrast with Thorpe Park, we found the Tamar Otter & Wildlife Park in Cornwall to be very good for gluten free.  It has a small cafe with a good reputation for mainly healthy food (no chips!) and provided my wife with not only GF cake and GF cookies, but a freshly made GF Coronation Chicken roll that she said was surprisingly good.